19 April 2012

Missionaries Never "Leave": Part Two

Note to the Reader:  This is part two of a blog series about feeling called away from the church that has been my home for the past 6 1/2 years. Part one was the story told from my perspective.  Part Two will be a letter from the Pastor written to communicate his part of the story.  It's been such a privilege to be under his leadership for all of my adult life so far and I was honored that he would take the time to write this letter so I wanted to share it as well!

April 12, 2012

Dear Kale’s Supporters,

It’s rare that I’m happy to see people leave my church.  But I’m thrilled that Kale is leaving.  Good riddance, I say!

Just kidding.  Last year Kale came and told me he sensed an opportunity to serve at a church near SLU’s campus, which could allow him to better serve his students.  Kale values church loyalty and did not want to leave without praying and discussing the opportunity first with his leaders.  He also knows he has a special relationship with Rooftop and some of its members, on whom he depends for prayer and financial support.  So we met repeatedly to talk about this possibility, and Kale even met with the elders to ask for their wisdom and submit to their leadership.

In the end, the elders agreed that the kingdom of Jesus Christ would benefit from Kale leaving Rooftop to work more closely with a different church, and we directed him to do so.  In fact, before Kale could LEAVE Rooftop we decided to SEND him out.  This is what churches should be doing: sending people out into new fields of harvest.  We’re excited to see what the Holy Spirit does in and through Kale and his students at their new place of worship.

I’m writing you this letter so you can have confidence that Rooftop’s relationship with Kale remains strong.  We are still a strong supporter of his work at Intervarsity, and would not have sent him out if we didn’t think he was ready for this new opportunity, or if we thought he was going about it the wrong way.  We are pleased to continue supporting Kale and we hope you are, too.

For the kingdom,

Matt Herndon
Rooftop Community Church

No comments: